Friday, November 11, 2011

And Life Goes On

While I was sitting at the cemetery, listening to the final prayers from the guest speakers, I was watching those around me.  The little ones were silently playing together and as I watched, I realized that come Monday, they would be going back to school.  I moved my line of sight to the next person standing there and the thought that he would have to go back to work, she would be teaching her class, the baby would be in day care.  Regardless of the sadness and tearful good-byes we were saying that day, life would continue on.  Whether we are prepared for it to continue or not, it would move us along on an invisible thread. 

Life doesn’t stop for the living.  Nor does it stop for those grieving for their lost ones.  We simply carry the grief along the way with us.  We hold strongly in our hearts, the grief for our passing loved ones, while we mindlessly take the necessary steps of the living. 

Breathe, just breathe.  Let the world continue to spin and while I sit and contemplate my fate in the universal knowledge that life goes on, I cannot make plans for the future just yet.  It will take time for me to understand the new direction my life must take at this juncture in the long road of my journey.

Long or short, we each have been given the opportunity of time.  Use it wisely, use it frivolously, use it for the good of all or simply enjoy it to the fullest, but never waste it.  Once it is gone, it is gone forever and you cannot, in this lifetime, get it back.   

I pray that each of you receives the wisdom to live a rewarding life and that each of you knows the meaning of the heartfelt love from family, friends and God.   Cherish it today, tomorrow and always.  Thank you for sharing your kind words, your thoughts and your prayers with me and my family.  They touched our hearts and we felt the warmth of your hugs. 

1 comment:

  1. When my baby brother died suddenly at age 28 of a heart attack one of the speakers at his funeral quoted someone famous Lord knows I can't remember who but the words I will never forget were "Stop the clocks" because it feels as if for those who deeply morn life stops at the death. Like it's so unfair the rest of the world continues to spin, dance at birthday parties and sing as if there were no pain. The pain is unbearable, and still the sun rises and sets. They tell you in time it wont hurt so badly and how dare they say such things. Truthfully though the pain does dull, and instead of agony and gut wrenching horror eventually you come to except this death thing is also a part of life, on this plain. We however shall meet again and wrap our arms arround each others spirits, of this I am certain!

    ReplyDelete